It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to jxdpmp

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: JXD v1000- A Gamer's Review!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:49 pm 
Newbie JXD
Newbie JXD

Intro: I like gadgets and I like retro gaming. This is a retro gamers review and that is where the emphasis will be. My experience with the JXD portables goes back to the JXD 301 that I purchased in 2007. The JXD 301, at the time, was a solid quality piece of hardware when comparing it to other China made devices. And the JXD v1000 falls into the same class, solidifying their reputation with me. When holding it in your hands it is not twisty, squishy, and squeaky, like thin plastic that doesn't fit. But what you have here is a very solid sturdy quality feel to it exactly like holding my "Sony PSP." You get the impression that the product is very well designed and built.

Hardware: The outward appearance, weight, button layout, and feel, as you hold it in your hands, is very similar to the Sony PSP, but that is where the similarities end. Only the outward body is styled after the PSP. There is even a slight difference in shape and it is slightly longer. Which causes it not to be able to fit a PSP case, if the case is form fitting. Understand this is not a PSP. It is only a PSP shape style design. It will not play PSP games, or PS1.
It says that mine is white in color. But I would describe it as more of a cream color with tiny metal flake or sparkles, maybe a pearl white, I like it, really nice looking.

The screen is beautiful with an aspect ratio of 4.3, backlit, bright, rich, and colorful with no ghosting, blur or lags. Everything is stretched to fit this screen. Even though the games are stretched to fill the screen it is hardly noticeable, or distracting, to me. Except when you notice something like the gal in Streets of Rage has put on a few extra pounds. There is no way to adjust the screen's brightness or contrast that I know of. Audio is okay. There seems to be holes at one end in the back of the console for only one speaker, but sound is coming from both ends of the system. Is it stereo? I don't know. Use your headphones, better sound. There is a menu that you access by a quick push of the “on & off” button. This menu contains the volume control, game escape, and “load and save” features. The directional button looks like four buttons, but like the Sony PSP, it is connected as one piece. The “nub,” as I have grown to call it, direction control, is great for driving games. Button mapping for the game consoles are still somewhat confusing to me, slight learning curve.

Sort-of Technical Stuff:
1. I use the Linux OS on my computers and it picked up my v1000 as a card reader.
2.You cannot access the internal memory and the SD card at the same time.
3.Let the v1000 format your SD card before you use it.
4.The system accepts a “Micro SD” card.
5.Game playing time on the battery is about 3 hours.
6.There is a feature where you can use the unit as an alarm clock.
7.The unit has a simple file system, if you can use a computer, you can put games on this unit.
8.There is a reset button at the bottom right of the unit. Good for when everything freezes up.
9.Unit will charge from USB. And auto connect to your computer when you hook it up by USB.
10. It does have a recording feature, but I have not done anything with that.
11. Four gigs of internal memory and I had a 4 gig Micro SD, if your into movies you'll probably need more.

The Games: You must understand that the emulators that JXD provides on their portables contain no options for adjustments, or tweaking. I assume the emulators have been preset with auto frame skip, etc. This may work well for some games but there may be others it may not. Because there is no way to tweak the emulators, some games will be faster than normal. The emulators are built into the filmware and there are no updates, or changes, unless JXD releases an updated filmware. So what you purchase is what it is, and it may not change. The system is not an open source design, so you will not be able to add your own emulators or make changes in the filmware. JXD does not make open source systems, nor do they make information available for others to hack. To my knowledge there is no emulator out there that plays every game perfectly. And I know there are better things available out there for emulation. With that in mind,
List of emulators and my impressions.

GBA: The file extension is “gba.” Not sure of the compatibility here. I have not tried a lot of games, I only have around 60 loaded. One that I remember not working was “Iridion” the first one. Second Iridion plays great. Sega Rally plays very good, full speed, and yet GT advance is very sluggish and unplayable. Of the games that I do have running they seem to be at full speed and running great. I am still trying games.

GB: This will play the old B&W games and also the Color. File extensions are “gb” and “gbc.” Do not have a lot yet, about 68 games. I have not ran into anything that does not work yet. Games are full screen and pixelated caused by aspect ratio. I am not bothered by this, some people might be. Good to have a Game Boy emulator on this unit.

NES: The file extension is “NES.” I don't know if there are any others for this system. I have dumped over 500 NES games onto the console. I am still trying them out, only one game has not played so far and that was Crisis Force. And Cowboy Kid has graphical errors. Which saddens me, two of my favorites on the Famicom. Everything runs good and smooth, so far. High compatibility ranking here, it seems.

SNES: All files need to have the “smc” file extension. Change them by renaming if they are not. This emu is a step down from the JXD 301. There is no playing any games that have a special chip, which knocks out games like Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc. Seems to have a low compatibility ranking in my opinion even though I do have close to 200 games running so far. I'm still trying games. Lot of RPGs like Dragon Quest with English translation patch are running. Earthbound is running. Frame rate problems is very noticeable in some games like Axlay. But there are many games that run very good and smooth. Mario All Stars runs great. And Super Mario World is awesome. Terranigma is working with English translation. Emu supports cart game save function.

SMD: This is the Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis and it uses the “smd” file extension on the game rom. If yours does not have that extension then rename it. 99% of the time, that works. I am very impressed with this emulator. The Sega games play and look great. I have 270 games up and running. This is a big step forward for JXD when comparing to their JXD 301 system. High compatibility with game roms. Games are smooth and there have been only very few games where I notice any missing frames in the animation. In my opinion this SMD emu is a shining jewel in the v1000's crown. And yes there are those occasional audio problems. Soleit runs with English patch. Emu supports cart save function.

Flash: The extension for these games is “swf” which stands for shockwave flash. The games need to be in a self contained file and small in size, preferably 800kb or smaller. These are the ones that I have had the most success with. Other problems are controls in some games, when it calls for a touch screen or mouse. Unique to this system is that some flash games do not fill the screen for some reason.

There are a selection of games that are “bin” file type games that were loaded on the player. They remind me of flash games, or homebrew. Out of 21, I find maybe 4 likable.

All of the gaming emulators offer a plug and play experience. Drag and drop an unzipped game file onto the memory of your v1000 and play the game by highlighting and pushing the “O” button. It is that simple. I have created folders for each retro game system and placed my game files in them. And all of the games look great on the rich bright colorful screen.

Camera features and quality. The camera is dated and I can only compare it to an older cell phone, older web cam, or maybe the Nintendo DSi. You won't exactly use it for family photos, but it is fun to catch a snap shot or two of friends. You'll need plenty of light for the best shot. I will find myself using it because no one will know your taking a picture. I do have a concern that the lens is located where I hold the unit to play games. Update: Just discovered this afternoon that this thing is also a video camera! I think it takes better movies than stills. I also discovered that you can adjust the contrast, color, or something by using the directional button.

Movie player: I do not watch video on portables. Just not my thing. I did load two files, one an anamorphic Batman Begins preview that I had and a three stooges short. Two distinctly different aspect ratios. Both were stretched to fit the screen. Very noticeable when watching something verses a game. I had fat stooges and a skinny Batman.

Music player: Good with the headphones that were provided. There is no shuffle feature that I know of. It seems that you can load your music into albums with a picture 150x150.

Radio: The radio feature uses the headphone cord for an antenna. I picked up some local stations and they came in clear.

TV out: The TV out is only meant for watching movies and not for gaming. Why you ask? The cord is only around 22 inches ( 558.8mm ) in length. You hook everything up and go into configuration turn on PAL or NTSC. You need to turn PAL or NTSC off before you unhook. The unit stretches the video to fit the screen on your TV too.

ebook reader: Nice. Very simple. I might read some books on this, but they need to be converted into a plain text file first.

Pro:
4.3 rich bright clear colorful screen
simple to use, drag and drop
I see the PSP body design a plus, nice feel
good set of game emulators
good compatibility among a majority of the emulators
Good quality built hardware

Con:
SNES does not support special chips
3 hours gameplay time
Aspect ratio stretch may be a killer for some people
No options to tweak the emulators
user manual only in Chinese/ it puts a learning curve on knowing the system
Button mapping has a learning curve

Conclusion: To give you an idea of the quality of gaming on this device: In comparing this with my Dingoo, which still has the “original filmware” with the “original emulators” on it,(only fair way of comparing it) I had a better gaming experience on the JXD v1000. This is comparing the “like emulators” on each system. Love this portable, love the screen size. I grabbed this up at Dealextreme. You cannot get a better gaming experience for the price I purchased this player. At around $50 USD it is certainly worth every penny. My only disappointment was with the SNES emulator not supporting those special chips. Other than that, this portable is a super little gaming device for what it is. I am very satisfied with it. It makes me want the JXD 5000. I think anyone who enjoys the 8 and 16 bit era in gaming could not go too far wrong in picking up one. The GBA is just an added bonus. Yeah, I know there are better things out there, which are available, that give you more options for gaming with a lot of community support, but at the same tiime you are also talking about spending more money. This is a low cost option with good quality for the money. I give it a big thumbs up to JXD for a neat little portable.

Post subject: Re: JXD v1000- A Gamer's Review!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Adminstrator
Site Adminstrator

Awesum Review :D
rock solid,and everything is very detailed.
after ur review...my demand of this player has increased :mrgreen: .
nice photoshoot!
another thing.not 2 b annoying,can u make a video review?around 5-8 minutes? with these information?not forcing :lol:
i see that u r happy with ur V1000!that's good.even i have a sony PSP and PS2.but i like jxd players.it does have the similer psp shape...

Again Nice Review!
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 am 
Newbie JXD
Newbie JXD

I would like to make a video but I am on dial-up internet service. A large file is very difficult to up-load.

Sorry for being gone so long. A lot of things in life interfered.

I presently have the JXD 5000 on the way. Should receive it maybe this next week. I hope. I will gear up for another review. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Adminstrator
Site Adminstrator

no problem...have fun :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]